El Shaarawy: Don't judge me on my hair

Stephen El Shaarawy insists he should be judged by his performances on the pitch and not his appearance off it.

The Azzurri ace was blasted by AC Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri recently, with the 46-year-old coach accusing his young forward of being more concerned with his looks than his football.

But El Shaarawy has responded angrily to those claims, and says he is desperate to set the record straight.

"My looks and my hair have nothing to do with the way I play," the 20-year-old Rossoneri attacker told reporters

"I've always looked the same and played both good and bad. I simply want to be judged on the way I play, and what I do in games."

The Genoa youth product has had his season curtailed by injury so far, but explained he isn't far off a comeback and that lining up alongside Kaka is a major motivating factor in his drive to get fit as quickly as possible.

"Unfortunately I got two injuries in quick succession but I am recovering well and will be back in a couple of weeks.

"I need a scan on my foot and the Barcelona game may come too soon, but I cannot wait to return and get out there playing with Kaka."