Karim Benzema: Toughest time of my career

Karim Benzema has admitted that his recent struggles with Real Madrid and France were arguably the "most difficult period" of his professional career, but he has insisted that he always kept believing in himself.

The 25-year-old was whistled by his own fans at the Santiago Bernabeu earlier this season, while he hadn't found the net for France for over 1200 minutes. 

However, he ended his goal drought for les Bleus against Australia last week and is looking back contentedly at the international break.

"This has been the most difficult period of my career. But it has been 10 good days with the national team for me," Benzema told reporters.

"It has been difficult for me, but I never stopped believing in myself. I never lost morale.

"It was good to score again for France and to do well in these two games."

France secured a spot in the World Cup play-offs by beating Finland 3-0 on Tuesday.