Bale spoke to Beckham and Owen ahead of Real Madrid move

Gareth Bale has revealed he contacted David Beckham and Michael Owen for advice when completing his world-record move to Real Madrid.

The Wales international was involved in a protracted transfer saga this summer, with Los Blancoseventually spending a reported €100 million to lure him away from Tottenham.

And Bale has revealed that he spoke to the likes of Beckham and Owen, who both previously played for Real Madrid, as well as Steve McManaman and Jonathan Woodgate ahead of his move.

Asked if he had spoken to the former Madrid players, he told reporters: "All of them. David Beckham texted to wish me good luck and stuff. It was very nice and I appreciated it.

"He trained at Tottenham with me for a while, so I know him quite well anyway and it’s nice of him just to give a text and a call.

"I know Jonathan Woodgate from my time at Tottenham, so I speak to him now and again. I met Steve McManaman when I did an interview and we spoke for a bit.

"They have been in this situation as well. They give good words of advice, I take it on board and it’s helping me a lot out here."

The 24-year-old has also insisted that he has never discussed his transfer fee with current team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo. 

"The amount that was paid is not ­something I think about. I just want to concentrate on the football," he said.

"The transfer fee or the money paid is nothing to do with me. I just want to be the best player I can be. There is no rivalry with Cristiano, nothing has been said about the fee at all. We get on very well and since day one he’s been amazing to me. He’s helped me a lot on and off the pitch.

"Cristiano has just given me encouragement in every game, given me confidence and he’s helped me along with his ­experiences when he first came. He’s been brilliant."